The Beatles are overrated. Metallica has not recorded a good album since 1988. OK Computer is horrible. I am totally serious. Discuss.

28 September 2009

Hi, I'm Mean Mr. Mustard



Above are the only two albums worth my dollars by The Beatles. Over the years, I have grown accustomed to disliking more and more of their songs. Whether it's the boring "yeah yeah yeah" early-60's Fab Four or the later period "acid drenched" psych period, I find them to be completely and utterly bland. Except, of course, the albums listed above. I am in the minority, but I like to be in the minority. Before anyone influences my thoughts on music, I actually listen to the songs rather than read a Christgau review or solely rely on album sales charts via Billboard magazine. Just because it is popular does not mean it is for everyone. Take soccer, for example. Wildly popular throughout the world, except for here in the States. For the record, I do like soccer so don't assume I hate things musically based on popularity.

The purpose of this blog is as follows:

1) I want to speak my thoughts because I am a music nerd and I love to engage in discussions with other music nerds.
2) If this becomes a popular enough blog, I may work in a publishing deal to release these entries to the world in book format. I have a baby coming soon...extra income is always desired.

More on the Fab Four later on. If I had to choose an artist's discography, between The Beatles and The Stones, it would always be Jagger & the boys. Let the vitriol begin!

5 comments:

  1. Why do people think it's strange that I prefer "The Bends"? Also The Blow Monkeys far superior to anything Wet Wet Wet ever did

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog already based solely on these facts: it's Derek's and the first comment is from Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on tenterhooks. And the correct answer to "The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?" is of course, The Who.

    And since you started it, I'm going to be the one to say it: New Order are complete shite compared to Joy Division. Not shite compared to anyone else, just Joy Division. Straight for the jugular I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the 3 statements at the top of the page.
    Also, to be completely honest, I've never seen what the big deal about Joy Division was. Or Bauhaus, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all! this will be an interesting little mess of love and hate.

    ReplyDelete